Avoid allergens is good advice for asthmatics and asthmatic women. In daily life, this advice is sometimes difficult to implement. Above all, children have trouble to see that you have to give away to their well-beloved pet, or the outside in the spring, they may not after (see details to avoid allergens ).
The Lung Association advises asthma sufferers and their families through meaningful measures to reduce exposure to allergens as possible. In the brochure "Living with allergic asthma" patients and their families will find many tips and information.
Drugs for asthma treatment
The drugs for asthma therapy can be divided into two groups:
- Drugs for the expansion of the bronchi. They are inhaled during an asthma attack and immediately expand the bronchial tubes. Their effect depends on the relaxation of the bronchial musculature. There is short-acting agent for the rapid treatment of an asthma attack and for prevention of respiratory distress in sports as well as long-acting medication to prevent seizures. The long-acting medications are appropriate for patients with moderate and severe asthma. Bronchodilator drugs to be used usually in combination with the second group of drugs, the anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Drugs for inflammation in the bronchi . These medications are usually inhaled so they go right there, where they are to act. This already given small amounts of the drug (corticosteroids) to achieve a good effect. Inhaling small amounts reduces the risk of massive side effects.
In order to unfold their full effect inhaled medications, the person concerned must first learn the correct inhalation technique. Therefore, the family doctor or the doctor is always watching again to see if the patient or the patient inhales the medication properly. Targeted asthma patients and patient education (for children and adults) that are organized by the cantonal leagues lung assist those affected in addition to better deal with the disease.
Have the asthma under control
The following four principles you have your asthma under control:
- Known asthma triggers to avoid . These include pollen, tobacco smoke, perfume and other gaseous chemicals, animal dander, mold and upper respiratory infections.
- Taking prescribed medications exactly as prescribed . If the drugs work is too weak or too strong, you should immediately report to the attending physician or the physician.
- Emergency drugs always carry with you .
- An asthma attack treated early .
Asthma or asthmatic women from 12 years using the asthma control test to determine the success of asthma therapy itself. The results of the tests should be discussed with the treating medical professionals between.
A flu infection can exacerbate asthma sustainable. Therefore, those affected with severe and moderate asthma is recommended to get vaccinated against flu. Readmore..