Sunday, May 29, 2011

A little medicine in the soup - asma

| Sunday, May 29, 2011 | 0 comments

By : Tam Nguyen

While my husband, Sam, and I were walking along Clear Creek in Camp
Verde, to my surprise I saw a plantago major L (common plantain.) It
was a dead ringer for what Vietnamese call ripple grass. For me, the
leaves look like a soup spoon. Americans treat it as a weed, but in
Vietnam, it is herbal medicine.

My dad used it as a treatment for urinary tract infections for me. He
pulled all the plant from the ground, cleaned off the dirt, cut it
into small pieces, and then boiled it in water, adding a little salt,
making it as a soup. I ate the soup for a week and then my urinary
tract infection was over. I was cured.
The people in the village mashed the leaves and used the viscous
liquid to apply to burns from flames. In the hospital, they made an
ointment from the leaves to apply to smaller burns. There are
different uses for other illnesses, too. The plant was processed
inside a laboratory and turned into a good product for hemorrhoids,
used topically. It has many uses for health. It depends on how the
laboratories compound it for use.

Cut enough fresh leaves into small, thin pieces to fill a small pot
and put glycerine on it to cover the leaves. Mix the leaves together
and stir until finished. Sift the solution and keep it in a dark jar.
This ointment works to calm itching, skin rashes.
For me, I like plantagino major L because I can eat it as soup. This
plant growth begins in spring and grows fast in the summer. The good
time to collect leaves is from May to July, but for the seeds, it will
be later by one more month.

It surprised me when I saw them here in the desert. I was so happy to
see this kind of plant again. It reminded me a wonderful time with my
dad, talking about interesting plants, spending time watching them,
and, also, stories about climate, weather, soils, all the necessary
conditions for plant growth.

It feels like my hometown here. It looked exactly like the plants,
which my dad used for me. And it was also the plant my dad and I
talked about. It was a kind of weed that has many cures for health,
but it still has secrets for me because this kind of weed grows many
different places on the world.
This plant still is a grass. I did some research on plantago major L.
There are several experimental programs using plantago major L. It was
proof for me about my dad. He was not just a farmer in the highlands
of Vietnam, using folklore to help me cure a urinary tract infection.
And, he also had been using the plant for hypertension and blood sugar
control. He told me about the miracle of the plant, because it can be
used as treatment for the symptoms of asthma.

This is important for me because Sam has suffered from asthma for most
of his life. The plantago major L permeates the bronchial passages and
brings relief. The folklore becomes the truth, but it also has a long
story of us as an alternative medicine dating back to ancient time.
The plants are still out on the creek. It just makes me feel good
about the wild weeds. It can turn out for a good purpose if we can
domesticate it for herbal medicine or just simply as a green house
vegetable.

The leaves of plantago major L in a salad are a rich source of vitamin
C. In the early spring, it is used especially for extra vitamin C,
when people want fresh vegetables.
It is nice for culinary uses and can be used in a vegetable soup. It
is simple to make a bowl of soup. Just cut the leaves in small pieces
and cook with shrimp or chicken broth, or only in water. It is so
delicious. It helps the intestines. Just put a little medicine in the
soup bowl.

Source :
hxtp://azdailysun.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/article_63adb575-0a94-5379-89b9-c03915cc7ea5.html

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

 

Recent Post

Recent Comments

Search Terms

© Copyright 2010. yourblogname.com . All rights reserved | yourblogname.com is proudly powered by Blogger.com | Template by o-om.com - zoomtemplate.com